External hard drives are becoming more of a necessity nowadays than an option. With the increase in file size of games and media content, you’ll be hard-pressed to look for a storage option other than your PC or laptop’s main hard drive. Luckily we have a lot of choices out there with storage capacities ranging from 500GB up to a staggering 5TB. What we’re taking a look at here is a 1TB hard drive, which is now the minimum recommended capacity, from manufacturer Western Digital. Say hello to the Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB Hard Drive.
Western Digital Utility Apps
Western Digital was kind enough to include installers of their utility apps and program in the portable drive. These apps include WD Security, WD Back-up, WD Drive Utilities and WD Discovery. Here’s a quick rundown of what each app and program does.
- WD Discovery – Western Digital’s main proprietary program for their portable drives. It is a tool to easily access and operate your Western Digital hard drives, it also includes WD Back-up, WD Drive Utilities and WD Security shortcuts and update buttons on its dashboard for easier and centralized access.
- WD Back-up – A quick one button back-up and restore tool for your Western Digital portable drives. Users could either back-up their files to a Western Digital drive or to a cloud-based storage, apart from that you could also set-up a backup plan where your files will be stored automatically depending on your chosen schedule. The app is only available on Windows, Mac users are advised to use Apple’s own backup program.
- WD Drive Utilities – An app for drive diagnosis and easy reformatting.
- WD Security – An app for setting up passwords and hardware encryption to your portable drive.
Now on to the crucial part, the Drive’s performance.
Crystal Disk Mark 3.0.4
Sequential Read: 147.0 MB/s
Sequential Write: 133.5 MB/s
512kb Random Read: 48.40 MB/s
512kb Random Write: 121.4 MB/s
These are average numbers for an external 7200rpm as the standard speeds nowadays are between 80-160Mb/s. We tested the real world performance of the device by checking the transfer times of a 13.4GB folder to and from the PC and portable drive. The drive was connected to a USB 3.0 port, expect lower speeds when connected to a 2.0 port.
It took exactly 4 minutes and 59 seconds to copy the 13.4GB folder into the device and 2 minutes and 19 seconds to copy the same folder from it. The transfer times when copying from the device are good, but the same could not be said when transferring files to it as it took almost double the time. For better visualization, a drive should, theoretically, take at most 20-30% longer when copying files to it compared to copying files from it. Nevertheless, these are still respectable transfer speeds.
Western Digital’s My Passport Ultra 1TB is certainly a good hard drive, not to mention it has a slim design and a very appealing look. It will fit in any small sized bag or even a small purse as it has a very small footprint and weight. Although the drive’s gray brushed metal finish portion is a smudge and fingerprint magnet, so it is recommended to either have a microfiber cloth ready at all times or get it a pouch or case.
We’ll also give Western Digital plus points for including the installers to most of their assistive apps and programs out of the box. If you’re in need of an elegant looking portable hard drive then be sure to check this one out. Also, the portable device has three other storage options (2TB, 3TB, and 4TB) in case you need more than 1TB.
Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB specs:
- 2.5-inch Drive
- USB 2.0 & 3.0 support
- 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, or 4TB storage options
- Black-Gray and White-Gold colors
- 110 x 81.5 x 13.5mm (1TB variant)
- 110 x 81.5 x 21.5 (2TB, 3TB , 4TB variants)