When it comes to PC and laptops, ASUS is definitely known for their Republic of Gamers and Prime series of products, but the TUF marker is just as formidable, known for its enhanced durability.
Today, we will be looking at the ASUS TUF FX504, a gaming laptop with an all-metal body, stealthy design, and a 120Hz display. Let’s dive right in.
With the lid closed, the TUF FX504 definitely looks tough. It has a brushed steel look that certainly looks stealthy, but also militaristic. It has a nice glint when moved across the light and is quite gorgeous.
Opening it up reveals something very familiar, especially if you’ve already been acquainted with the FX series. We have a 15.6-inch display with regrettable, but forgivable bezels, as well as a red-backlit keyboard.
What’s new here, though, is the black PCB etching design on the sides, which we do quite like. The exhaust vents above the keyboard are also flared out as opposed to straight, which is a nice touch.
The keyboard, as previously mentioned, is red-backlit, with the WASD keys being slightly proud. We get a hybrid layout that does have a numpad, but with the position of the arrow keys skewed a little to make room. It’s a smart use of space and is easier to get used to than you might think. Key travel is so-so but will do for casual typing and gaming.
I’ve never been a fan of the trackpads on ASUS gaming laptops, and this one certainly hasn’t changed my mind. The texture is a little too grippy, and the size is quite small. This is a gaming laptop though, and you will probably be using an external mouse anyway.
Moving on to the I/O, the left side has the power input, HDMI port, one USB 2.0, two USB 3.0, and a combo audio jack. It’s great that ASUS finally decided to put the USB 2.0 port on the left side, as this is the most optimal position for it to be in for plugging in a mouse.
The right side has the Kensington lock and a full-size SD card slot.
Overall, the ASUS TUF FX504 definitely feels very sturdy and might even be able to take a serious beating, but they don’t call it TUF for nothing. The stealthiness of the design is spot-on, and the inclusion of a 120Hz display is a godsend.
ASUS TUF FX504 specs:
- 15.6-inch FHD IPS display @ 120Hz
- Intel Core i5-8300/i5-8750
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 / GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
- 4GB/8GB DDR4 2666Mhz SDRAM, up to 32GB
- 128GB SSD + 1TB SSD / 1TB + 8GB SSHD
- Speakers powered by ICEpower technology
- 1x USB 2.0
- 2x USB 3.0
- 1x combo audio port
- 1x RJ45 LAN
- 1x HDMI 1.4
- Kensington Lock
- WiFi 802.11ac
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Backlit chiclet keyboard
- HD webcam
- 4 Cells 48 Whrs Battery
- Windows 10 Home
- 384 x 262 x 25 mm
The ASUS TUF FX504 series comes in 4 models:
• FX504GM-EN001T – $1,489 : 15.6-inch Full HD IPS 120Hz, Intel Core i5-8300, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GTX1060 (6GB DDR5)
• FX504GE-EN039T – $1,394 : 15.6-inch Full HD IPS 120Hz, Intel Core i7-8750, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GTX1050Ti (4GB DDR5)
• FX504GE-EN179T – $1,337 : 15.6-inch Full HD IPS 120Hz, Intel Core i7-8750, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 8GB SSHD, NVIDIA GTX1050Ti (4GB DDR5)
• FX504GD-EN045T – $1,089 : 15.6-inch Full HD IPS 120Hz, Intel Core i5-8300, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 8GB SSHD, NVIDIA GTX1050 (4GB DDR5)